Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application process at Host Universities in Canada. Learn the best way to apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships for the academic year 2023/20241, via Host Universities Scholarship Portal.
If you are reading this, it means you have heard about the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023.
In this article, we are going to systematically outline the right way to apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships for interested and qualified applicants.
The Fellowships program offers to finance the very best postdoctoral candidates, both internationally and nationally, who will effectively add to the country’s economic, social and research-based development in a positive way.
The aim of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent and skills, both internationally and nationally
- build their leadership potential
- place them in a position for success as research leaders of tomorrow
Fellowships are distributed evenly among the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
Fields of Research:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
Eligible Nationalities and Benefits
This scholarship is open to students from countries all over the world.
Number of Awards: 70 fellowships are awarded annually
Value of Program: $70,000 per year (taxable)
Duration of Program: 2 years (non-renewable)
- Permanent residents of Canada, Canadian citizens, and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, once they meet the following criteria:
- Candidates who are not permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens may only have their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship tenable at a Canadian institution.
- Candidates who are permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from an international university may only have their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship tenable at a Canadian institution.
- Candidates who are permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens and who got their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may have their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship tenable at either a Canadian institution or an institution that is outside Canada.
For a list of eligible health professions, please, kindly see the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)’s webpage.
For candidates who have completed more than one PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, the eligibility window will apply to the most recent of the degrees.
- Candidates who at present hold or have held agency-specific (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) fellowship awards at the postdoctoral level are still eligible to apply to the 2023/20241 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provided the term of that funding officially comes to an end on or before 30th September, and before the start of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Terminating of the agency-specific postdoctoral award early for the purpose of application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is not allowed.
- Candidates are free to apply for any other agency-specific postdoctoral fellowships programs and the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program (whether to a different or the same federal granting agency) at the same time, if the research proposed in each of the applications falls within the mandate of the federal granting agency to which the application is submitted. For more information, please, kindly refer to Identify an area of research.
Candidates that are successful in both competitions will have to choose which fellowship award to accept.
- Candidates must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position. Neither can they be on leave from such a position.
Selection Criteria: The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is special in its emphasis on the collaboration between the following:
- candidate – individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career
- host institution – dedication to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
A candidate to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full synergy with the proposed host institution.
How to Apply
It is pertinent to go through the Application Guide before you apply for this Fellowship.