Chris Hani Baragwanath Nursing College | www.chrishanibaragwanathhospital.co.za.
Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital Departments.
Principal (Act): -currently unspecified-
This modern facebrick nursing college was opened in 1982 and is completely autonomous.
The college is capable of handling about 1’500 students per annum. However, due to financial constraints, only around 100 new nursing students are allowed on intake per year, which had reduced the number of trainees to approximately 800 annually.
- A library and a study area specifically designed for students who wish to view audio-visual programmes individually
- An audio-visual department equipped with basic audio-visual equipment, for the enhancement of learning and teaching
- An auditorium with a capacity for over 300 people, which is utilised by both college and hospital staff
- Computers for students
Nurse or Nursing College Applicant? Sign up now
We are building NurseCentral (under construction), the one-stop-solution for South Africa’s Nurses and future Nurses: Everything in one place.
As a future Nurse, you could…
- Be selected for student loans
- Be found, selected and invited by South Africa’s Nursing Colleges
- Be found by your future employer
- Make friends & get help and advice from your peers
In 1985 an agreement was signed between the University of the Witwatersrand, and the department of Hospital Services. This provided for the university to supervise matters pertaining to academic standards in the training of nurses. At present the four year basic course is offered within the framework of this association.
This agreement also set up the structure for control of the college activities by two bodies:
- The College Council
- The College Senate
The College Council, which includes members of the public, deals with aspects like budgeting, physical facilities, posts, disciplinary matters and service conditions. The College Senate is concerned with academic matters.
The college offers the following courses:
- Four year diploma in nursing, which include General, Psychiatric, Community Health and Midwifery Nursing Science
- Two year course for Pupil Enrolled Nurses
- Post Basic Nursing Science Courses, which include
- One year Midwifery course
- Advanced Diploma in Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science
- Community Health
- Child Nursing
- Critical Care
- Operating Room Technique
- Primary Health Care
The college has offered it’s physical facilities to the community to conduct an education programme on Saturdays, known as SUPEDI (Supplementary Education Programme). This is a non-profit community based programme upgrading Grade 1 – 7 Soweto pupils in English and Mathematics.
The college also serves as a venue for continuing education programmes, run by the hospital, local authority clinics and the community.
You may check back later for updated content or contact the hospital directly.
Are you Head of this department or a doctor who works at this department? Tell us how to improve this page.
However, if you have queries regarding the Chris Hani Baragwanath Nursing College, Please kindly DROP A COMMENT below and we will respond to it as soon as possible.
Be social by sharing this post with others and don’t hesitate to Like Us on Facebook to share, discuss and get the Chris Hani Baragwanath Nursing College latest updates.