Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School Programmes 2022, SMU Nursing Online Application Form, Courses, Requirements, Departments, and Fees Structure 2022 for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Intake.
The Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) School of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Health Sciences Online Admission Application Form 2022 Intake, application fee, admission requirements, Joining Instructions pdf download, application deadline/closing date for 2022 academic year.
SMU School of Nursing trusts that your studies will be pleasant and rewarding. Feel free to contact the Department about any aspect of your studies – we will gladly assist you.
- sefako makgatho prospectus 2022 pdf
- smu prospectus 2022
- medunsa prospectus 2022 pdf download
- sefako makgatho university prospectus 2022
- sefako makgatho online application 2022
- sefako makgatho university online application 2022
- sefako makgatho health sciences university prospectus 2022
- smu online application 2022
- 1 Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School Application Form 2022
- 2 Academic Departments
- 3 Why Choose Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School
- 4 Sefako Makgatho University Nursing Science Links:
- 5 Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School Admission Requirements
- 6 Undergraduate Programmes
- 7 Post-Graduate Programmes
- 8 Honors Degree
- 9 Masters Degree
- 10 Doctoral Studies
Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School Application Form 2022
The South African Nursing Council (SANC), as well as the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) School of Nursing and Midwifery, has released the online admission application form for prospective candidates that seek admission into the SMU Nursing School for 2022 academic year.
The Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School offers training in association with various private and state hospitals and community facilities, whereby they gain practical experience under the guidance of our Educators as well as Registered Nurses.
Every student admitted to any programmes of study tenable at the Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School must carefully read, understand and abide by the admission instructions.
Why Choose Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School
- Receive accredited training.
- We offer competent Educators, in a safe and secure environment.
- We have a well-equipped simulation laboratory where you can practice your clinical skills before entering the clinical environment.
Sefako Makgatho University Nursing Science Links:
Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School Admission Requirements
Applicants require the following minimum Admission Point Score (APS )
|Language of Learning||4|
|2 Additional Subjects||3|
B CUR (NQF level 8)
Bachelors Degree Nursing Science and Art 4 year programme (SANC Reg 425, 22 February 1985 as amended). Four academic years 40 weeks per year (160 weeks in total), Total notional hours 7430.
- NSB 09 Health Science and Social Services
- NSB 07 Human and social studies
- NSB 05 Education, Training and Development
- Life Sciences
- Rehabilitative services
- Information technology and computer science
- Preventive Health
- Promotive Health & Developmental services
- Curative Health
Registration with the SA Nursing Council (SANC) and a Nursing Association. In terms of the Nursing Act, B Cur students must on Admission to the University, register with the SA Nursing Council before 31 March of the year of Admission and pay the prescribed registration fee re-register with the SANC following a break in clinical practica and pay the prescribed re-registration fee register as junior members with the democratic Nursing Organisation of SA and pay the prescribed annual membership fee
- B Cur is a degree programme leading to registration by the SA Nursing Council as a Nurse (general, psychiatric, community) and midwife. The duration of the degree programme is four (4) years.
- Clinical practical in an approved hospital is a compulsory part of each year of study
- A clinical schedule, to which students must adhere, is compiled in co-operation with the approved institution and in accordance with the theory timetable, and Rule G3 applies
Entry requirements level 1 –4: Learners who register for this qualification should have met
- the requirements for level1 – 4
- with a minimum of 72 credits,
- of which at least 52 credits shall be from the core and elective categories
Credits in fields of learning;
- 20 credits in field 4 communication studies and
- 16 credits in field 10 physics, mathematics, numeracy, and
- computer and life-science
Provide proof of having obtained a further Education and Training certificate
Selection requirements: (Only a limited number of applicants can be admitted to the degree programme. Students are selected on merit by a Selection Committee and notified by the Office of the Registrar
Applicants must be in possession of a Matriculation/Matriculation Exemption Certificate, produce proof of registration with the SA Nursing Council as a General Nurse and should have practiced as a registered nurse for at least one (1) year. The total score should comprise a sum of the rating of all subjects passed in the Matriculation examination e.g.
NB: The following will also be taken into consideration:
- a completed nursing college diploma course +1
- a completed post basic registration clinical or non-clinical course at a Technikon or college of nursing +1
- completed degree program degree subject/s/course/s:
1 subject +1
2 different subjects +2
2 subjects of the same course +2
Completed degree program +3
Foreign students will be admitted on the proviso that they meet the Admission and selection requirements of the university, and are prepared to pay the full tuition and residence fee at the rate provided for foreign students in the Fees Brochure.
Foreign students must be registered with the SANC and meet all their requirements for further study in RSA. Their academic certificates and their Senior Certificates should have been evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) before admission.
The Bachelor of Advanced Nursing Science (BANS/BNSc) program is a degree program offered over a minimum period of three years full time or part-time. (NB. Students who have a university diploma in nursing administration or education will be credited accordingly).
The course is a post-registration degree program presented in modules with clinical and non-clinical pathways in line with the South African Council’s R212. Non-clinical pathways include Nursing Education, and Nursing Management.
Clinical pathways will include Community Health Nursing Science, Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science, Medical and Surgical Nursing Science, Child Nursing, Occupational Health Nursing Science, Clinical Nursing Science, Health Assessment, Treatment and Care, Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Science :
NOTE: All pathway subjects will be registerable with the SA Nursing Council for additional qualification
Necessary practical work is done during university vacation and if necessary, over weekends
A student may apply for exemption for modules/subjects that have been completed and passed at University of Limpopo or at any other university provided that: the original transcript (or a certified copy) of the modules/subjects passed is produced the period of passing such modules/subjects does not exceed five
To be admitted into the honors programme the applicant must have:
Completed a basic degree in nursing (B Cur) or BA Cur or an equivalent thereof and have obtained at least an average of 60% in the final examination of the major subject/field he/she wishes to advance in.
Duration: Minimum of 1 year and maximum of 2 years
Presentation: The course can be presented on a part-time or full-time basis
The major course shall be selected in collaboration with the head of the Department and in relation to the degree and qualifications held by the student
For practical reasons only a limited number of applicants can be admitted to the degree programme. Students are therefore selected on merit by a Selection Committee and notified accordingly by the Office of the Registrar
Applicants must be in possession of a B Cur degree or equivalent qualification. It is advisable that applicants should also have appropriate experience as a registered nurse and hold an approved post pertaining to the field of study for the period of the honor’s programme.
Note: Except where otherwise stated, the General Rules for post-graduate studies shall apply
Two core subjects, Research Methodology and Nursing Dynamics
At least two papers in the elective, i.e. Nursing Education, Health Services Administration, Advanced Psychiatric Nursing Science, Advanced Community Health Nursing Science, Advanced Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science, Advanced Medical and Surgical Nursing. Science shall be written in the summative Assessment 800 Hours of appropriate and/or prescribed practical in an approved post for a clinical B Cur Honours degree
To be admitted into the masters’ programme the applicant must have:
- Completed a four year basic degree in nursing (B Cur) or BA Cur or an equivalent thereof and have obtained at least an average of 60% in the final examination of the major subject/field he/she wishes to advance in OR Completed an appropriate honors degree
- Full membership with the South African Nursing Council
- NB: Foreign students must be registered with the South African Nursing Council before commencing with their studies
A Masters degree by coursework shall be MNRA090 and shall consist of :
Non-clinical Masters Degree in nursing by coursework and a minor dissertation
MNSA01 Nursing Education
MNSF01 Health Services Administration
Clinical-Masters degree in Nursing by coursework and a minor dissertation
MNSC01 Advanced Community Health Nursing Science
MNSE01 Advanced Psychiatric Nursing Science
MNSD01 Advanced Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science
MNSG01 Advanced Medical and Surgical Nursing Science
A Masters Degree in nursing by research shall be registered as
MNRB090 Masters Degree in Nursing by Research
The M Cur programme for both clinical and non-clinical courses shall consist of course work and a minor dissertation. Students who have completed an honours degree and have fully or partly complied with the requirement for coursework shall be exempted accordingly, and can proceed with the research aspect of the Masters Degree. This will be a minor dissertation.
Students who do not wish to undertake coursework can register for a Masters Degree by research and submit a full dissertation
All students registered for M Cur regardless of focus must register for:
MNRB190 Research Methodology
Electives for all students pursuing a clinical or non-clinical Masters degree by coursework must be on a major subject of the basic degree or completed coursework for the Honors degree
Doctoral degree studies are by research only:
012 5214305, Fax: 012 521 3820
(Post-graduate and Post-basic Programmes)
Nursing Sciences Department
Under graduate Programme:
Mrs V. Morobe
Tel: 012 521 4664,
Fax 012 521 3820
Nursing Sciences Department
Application is made through filling the application form online at the school admissions portal.
For more information and inquiries, you can contact the Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School by visiting the official website or campus: https://www.smu.ac.za/schools/health-care-sciences/departments/nursing-science/
However, if you have any queries regarding the Sefako Makgatho University Nursing School Application Form 2022, Please kindly DROP A COMMENT below and we will respond to it as soon as possible.