Walter Sisulu University (WSU) Nursing Science, About WSU Faculty of Health Science, programmes, entry requirement, Duration of Courses, Admission Process and Selection Procedure.
WSU BACHELOR OF NURSING
- Qualification Code: MT5211 (NQF Level 7)
- Minimum credits for qualification: 480; credit value 524
Rules for Nursing Science programmes – Degrees and Diplomas
- The rules and regulations which follow must be read in conjunction with those of the Faculty of Health Sciences, provisions of the Higher Education Act, University Statute, general rules and regulations of the University, and of the South African Nursing Council.
- Where a learner includes a module(s) from another faculty, the rules and regulations of that faculty apply to that/those module(s).
Purpose of the Programme
- A Nursing Degree leads to registration with the South African Nursing Council as a nurse (general, psychiatric, community) and midwife (Regulation R425).
- This programme aims to prepare fully-fledged nursing professionals, comprehensively trained, capable of providing preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative care, with special emphasis on rural communities.
- The graduates must have values, competencies, knowledge and role development that will give foundation to continue to grow and learn in their profession.
- Full-time Contact.
- The programme will be delivered in a format that will be accessible to full- time students. It will be in the form of lectures, tutorials, and laboratory practical sessions followed by placement in different health services. The focus is on problem-based learning and community-based education
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Minimum admission score of 32
- Age of entrance shall be 17 years to 36 years. Minimum educational requirements – 12 years of schooling. Matriculation exemption with the following subjects:
- English E (HG) or D (SG)
- Biology E (HG) or D (SG)
- Physical Science E (HG) or D (SG), E (SG) may be considered on merit if the other symbols are above the minimum requirements.
National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- Minimum statutory NSC requirements for the degree must be met:
- NSC achievement rating of at least 5 (60-69%) in IsiXhosa as a home language or first additional
- NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) in English
- NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) in Mathematics literacy or
- NSC achievement rating of at least 3 (40-49%) in Mathematics
- NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) in Life Sciences NSC
- achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) in Physical Science
Not compulsory subjects
- 4 (50-59%) in Life Orientation
- 4 (50-59%) in Information Technology.
- Admission of students shall be once a year.
- Applicant must be medically fit.
- The closing date for applications will be 30 September, however late applications will be considered under certain circumstances
- Persons above 23 years of age with a Senior Certificate and conditional exemption from South African Higher Education.
- Failure to obtain the mature age exemption – the student with be disqualified.
- Must produce a valid student permit.
- Submit proof of the assessment of qualifications by SAQA.
- Statement from the professional body of the country of origin that the qualification obtained will be recognised.
Duration of Courses
- Four years full-time only.
- Students are selected on the basis of their academic achievements.
- The selection committee is made up of members of the Faculty.
SHARE THIS POST WITH OTHERS!